Committees and Caucuses
Congressman Kahele serves on two key committees in the 117th Congress, the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee and the House Armed Services Committee.
House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee
The House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, one of the largest committees in Congress, that has jurisdiction over all modes of transportation: aviation, maritime and waterborne transportation, highways, bridges, mass transit and railroads.
With over twenty years of experience as an aviator and an active commercial airline pilot, Rep. Kahele brings a unique perspective to the Committee’s work, and serves on the Aviation Subcommittee and the Highways and Transit Subcommittee.
- The Transportation and Infrastructure Committee also has jurisdiction over other aspects of our national infrastructure, such as clean water and waste water management, flood damage reduction, the management of federally owned real estate and public buildings, the development of economically depressed rural and urban areas, disaster preparedness and response and hazardous materials transportation.
House Armed Services Committee
The House Armed Services Committee has jurisdiction over defense policy generally, ongoing military operations, the organization and reform of the Department of Defense and the Department of Energy.
As a Lieutenant Colonel in the Hawaiʻi Air National Guard who served Iraq and Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom, Congressman Kahele brings his combat experience to his assignments on the Tactical Air Land Subcommittee and the Readiness Subcommittee.
- The House Armed Services Committee also has jurisdiction over military personnel and family policy, counter-drug programs, security cooperation and humanitarian assistance activities of the Department of Defense, acquisition and industrial base policy, technology transfer and export controls, joint interoperability, detainee affairs and policy, force protection policy and the nuclear weapons programs of the Department of Energy.
- Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus (CAPAC)
- Freshman Representative
- Congressional For Country Caucus (CFCC), Member
- Congressional General Aviation Caucus, Member
- Congressional Pacific Islands Caucus, Member
- Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC), Member
- Democratic Caucus
- Regional Whip
- Native American Caucus
- Vice Chair
- Poverty Task Force
- Vice Chair, Economic Opportunity, Education and Workforce Development
- Rural Broadband Task Force, Member